Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Love Things That Make Me Feel...

By things I mean books, movies, music, TV shows, my entertainment. I love when what I am reading, watching or listening to evokes emotion. It does not even have to be a happy or good feeling, but a feeling. I am always disappointed when I walk away feeling nothing.

I loved a book that I recently read after it was recommended by a friend. Love Walked In. When I was done with it I needed to sit with it for a time before I could tell her what I thought of it. I felt so deeply the story of these characters, many who were flawed to the point of wondering if they were worth bothering with and others who were so lovable that it made the heart feel so full. I have gone on to tell every book lover I know to read this book. I am reading the follow up Belong To Me, which has already had me sobbing with body shaking cries and I am only a little more then half way in.

Last weeks House, which I just finished watching and was what prompted me to write this entry left me feeling like my heart was shredded. The closing scene of House sitting in Kutner's apartment surrounded by pictures of Kutner's life all around and the look on House's face. I sobbed for him because he couldn't. The man is so broken that he can't cry.

The entire Harry Potter series of books are another example. They are so loaded with feeling that even on my 10th reading I cry at the death of Dumbledore, cheer when Ron and Hermione kiss, start out seeing the worse in Snape and end up loving him, feeling things.

I want my entertainment to be more fiber and less sugar. I want to feel full and satisfied and moved and not empty and sluggish. What I am finding is that this isn't always easy.

I like to laugh, cry, get angry, feel pity, want to yell at the book/screen when someone is clearly doing something that we just know is a big mistake (yes I yell out loud at characters). I don't want to be bored or indifferent. I don't want to wish for the experience to be over I want to wish it would never end.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wendy, what wonderful sentiments. I agree wholeheartedly. And I'm so very glad that you loved "Love Walked In." I really felt the same - I was shaking and crying and smiling for all the wonderful oh-so-real characters in that story. I have "Belong to Me" from the library, but am not sure when I will have a chance to read it. Anyway, "more fiber and less sugar" --> hear hear! This week's 24 (I can't remember - do you watch that also?) had me crying and shouting and smiling and... everything. Great blog post!