I got a call yesterday afternoon near the end of the school day. Earlier in the day, at the very start of the day, Joshua ended up outside the school, locked out and knocking on the door. They are "investigating". But here is what I have understood so far.
When the kids have outdoor line up in the morning (it's still nice enough that they are) the kids go eat breakfast then back outside to line up. Joshua, as I have said before, is a very routine oriented kid, his routines are more important to him than to the average kid, they keep him level and from melting down. So yesterday he ate and then went out of the cafeteria and out the door he normally goes out and no one was out there and the door closed behind him. He knocked, for what I can tell from the info I have, for at least 5 minutes. Someone finally heard him and let him in.
My issues are many with this but to start
1) If he took so long to eat that the kids were coming in, how did he manage to walk out with no one seeing him? This is the Kindergarten are, there are supposed to be monitors.
2) Why was I not called until after 2pm?
3) I don't like the feeling I am getting from the school people that they are blaming him.
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








4 comments:
I'm routine oriented too. What is wrong w/ this school? It's easy to blame a kid!
My best advice... get to the bottom of it ASAP, since you may need to switch schools. Does he not have an "aid" or someone that keeps an eye on him? They had mine on such lockdown he couldn't make one move without them knowing. Which, actually, isn't the best solution most the time either, but still.
They are "investigating"
He doesn't have a one-on-one aid, but this is the Kindergarten & First grade breakfast room, they are the little kids. So there is supposed to be an adult on the door at all time, not only to keep kids in but strangers out
Yeah sounds like something failed big time there. I'm all for keeping the kids safe with locked doors, but sounds like this did more harm than good. You'll have to post what the "investigation" turns up.
Post a Comment