Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Broke The Baby...

...ok well not really...but yeah, I feel like I did..

On Thursday (April 29, 2010) Joshua had his Neurological Evaluation. Just getting this done took 2 months and me finally going around his teacher to the program social worker. I wanted this done because I had some concerns about him. I mentioned them to his teacher back in Feb and she suggested this. Then I mentioned some of the concerns to one of my dearest friends, who happens to be a speech therapist and she thought it a good idea too.
Well at the evaluation the doctor asked me a bunch of questions, examined Joshie, asked him to do a lot of things...It seemed very thorough to me, but I don't really know what I should have been looking for. She did make lots of notes on some checklist she had.
At the end of this she pointed out a lot of the behaviors she noticed as well as things I told her I was concerned about.

Her diagnosis---my little man is on the Autism Spectrum. I am not 100% sure exactly what that means for him and that will come I am sure. For now I am just still in overload mode. I didn't expect this. I honestly don't know what I expected but it wasn't this. Now the learn everything I can about this begins. About being his advocate, about speaking up for him and making sure he gets what he needs.

No comments: